Facebook

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Please join in!

Sentimental 
    Sunday

I'm honored to announce that the theme, Sentimental Sunday, which I introduced back in November, is now being adopted by Thomas MacEntee of Geneabloggers as an "official" weekly blogging theme!  Although several folks have already been participating in Sentimental Sunday, I'm thrilled and excited that through Geneabloggers, over 800 bloggers, and even more readers will be encouraged to reflect on some of the their more memorable family moments and/or experiences as researchers. 

The idea of Sentimental Sunday was actually born out of the emotions I experienced after reading the posts of two of my genea-friends, and realizing how very powerful a vehicle these blogs can be.  Through our writings, we often connect with each other - total strangers, in most cases - in ways that can be difficult to express to our own family members and friends, who may not be engaged or involved in the work of genealogy research.  We hail from a variety of cultural, racial, economical, and professional backgrounds; some from well-established, completely-connected families, and others from tribes of folk who don't even know each other exists.  But our common factor is the work that we do to discover the history of our respective families, and to create a bridge that links that history to our present-day life, and leaves a gift of knowledge for generations to come.

In that light, I hope that as many members of the Genea-bloggers community as possible will join in and participate often in Sentimental Sunday.  Any memory or story you might tell that pulls on your own heart-strings and might inspire the emotions of others, should qualify.  Whether it's a memorable family moment, a tribute to an ancestor or family member, or even a recollection of something touching that occured here in the blogosphere, I hope you'll share it with us all on Sentimental Sunday!

Renate

Click here to read my very first Sentimental Sunday post, which inspired all of this. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I wasn't sure what "Sentimental Sunday" would be covering, so I thought I'd check out the first of the blogs, and write something at a later time. Great idea. I would never have written anything for "Black Sheep" because the only b. sheepie is me! This is a happier subject. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, that is so funny that you said that, because I've always felt exactly the same way about BSS! Every week I considered writing a post about that very thing - the fact that I am the "black sheep" of my family - lol, but I always decided against it.
    I look forward to reading your entries for Sentimental Sunday!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading my post and for such a good idea for a theme.
    Midge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renate! I love your blog. I have awarded you the Happy 101 Award. You can pick up the award at http://genealogyandme.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-101-award-from-cheryl-at-heritage.html
    Thanks for sharing your life with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, I had already adopted Sentimental Sunday cause being an old, school country girl -- I'm afraid to speak ill of the dead with Black Sheep Sunday!:-)

    Thanks from your GeneaFam!:-)

    ReplyDelete