|Cohabitation Record for my great-grandparents, Calvin and Prescilla Yarborough|
Although I don’t know anything else about Prescilla, she is the ancestor whom I believed most purposefully, and pointedly left me a genealogical gift for my research. This gift, I believe, was in the naming of her children. You see, many of Calvin and Precilla’s offspring have middle names that are the surnames of local families in and around Franklin County, NC, where they lived. I believe that Precilla was most likely separated from her family, and my sense is that she may have never seen them again, once that separation took place. I also, believe that she, like Calvin, may have had a series of owners, and she wants me to know who they were, so that maybe I can find her (my) family.
- Louis NEAL Yarborough (1862-1931) - Calvin was owned for most of his slave years by the Neals, and I believe that his father may have been, also, but I haven’t been able to prove that the Louis in the inventory was actually his dad. He became a Yarborough slave by marriage, just a few years before emancipation
- Samuel EATON Yarborough (1864-1922) – The EATON family was prominent in Franklin and surrounding counties. I believe Precilla may have been owned by one of them, perhaps William Eaton, whom I’ve written about in earlier posts, re: Letters from Louisburg.
- Sarah H Yarborough (1866-1870) – Sarah was “burned” and died at age 4, according to the 1870 Mortality Record for Franklin County. I believe that Precilla may have been once owned by Sarah Helen Shaw, and that she may have named her first daughter after her. However, I also often wonder if she may have been named Sarah after either Priscilla or Calvin’s mother.
- Thomas W Yarborough (1867 -?) – I’ve never seen what the W stands for in Thomas’ name, but I have to wonder if it might be, “White”, since one of the children gave that as Precilla’s maiden name
- Henry KING Yarborough (1872-1936) – The King family was also prevalent in Franklin County. Sarah Shaw, who I believe may have once owned Precilla, married Joel KING.
- Quinea A Yarborough (1874 -?) – I don’t know what the A stands for in this name.
- Caroline or Carolina B Yarborough (1876-1914) – Again, I don’t know what the middle initial stands for.
- Jose -phine S Yarborough (1878 -?) – I have no way of knowing, but could this be SHAW
- Mattie Louise Yarborough (1879-1919
- Calvin Roy Yarborough (1882-1929) – This is my GRANDFATHER. There are ROYs in the area, but I’m not sure if there is any connection
- Eugene CARTER Yarborough (1864-1954) – This is the most vague (to me) of all the middle names. The CARTER surname doesn’t appear in Franklin County until 1880, but because I don’t know where Precilla came from, originally, I won’t rule anything out.
Yarborough Family bible, owned by Susie Yarborough Hawkins, Louisburg, NC
Cohabitation Records, Franklin County, 1866: North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, NC
Franklin County Death Certificates: Franklin County Register of Deeds, Louisburg, NC