Facebook

Sunday, July 24, 2011

#52Ancestors: Week 2 - "Origins" - WHERE I'M FROM

This post is being updated on January 8, 2023, for inclusion in Week 2 of Amy Johnson Crow's "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" writing initiative. The original post was written and shared in 2011. I remember being very proud of it, then; and, I feel the same way now. Only the slightest of changes have been made.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 24, 2011

Thanks again to Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings for providing us with a fun, engaging activity.  This week's assignment, was to use write a poem entitled, "Where I'm From", using the template. To visit Randy's site and read the entire challenge, please visit http://www.geneamusings.com/2011/07/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-write-poem.html

I enjoyed working on this poem, but found it challenging in some ways, as I had to grope for ideas for a few of the items. However, most came easily, and I found myself smiling, and even laughing as I reflected on memories of days gone by.  I encourage everyone to give this a try, and to share it with your family members, too. :) 
Here's my poem:

Where I'm From
By Renate Yarborough Sanders

I am from bell-bottom pants, stacks and afros. I’m from Hostess Twinkies and Now & Laters.

I am from the historic black neighborhood of Aberdeen (Built by Blacks for Blacks), paved streets, big yards, filled with children playing while mammas watched from every window, and where you’d better get home before those street-lights come on.  I'm from playing on the "Big Hills", waiting for the Ice-Cream Man or "The Truck", and from where switches came off trees faster than you could get the last disrespectful word out of your mouth.

I am from azalea bushes and crepe myrtle trees, and from my grandma’s prized roses.

I am from holding hands during mealtime prayers, and persevering above the odds; From Anna Beatrice GREEN and Mary DAVIS and YARBOROUGHS, NEALS, DUNSTONS, HILLS, ROSSES, BRYANTS and BROWNS. And, like it or not, I’m also from HAWKINS, JONES, MACONS, DAVENPORTS and more.

I am from the head-strong and faithful. I’m from, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all.” And, “Pretty is, as pretty does.”

I am from Baptists, and Presbyterians, and from the foot-stomping, dancing-in-the-aisle United Holiness Church. I’m from folks who love the Lord with all our hearts, souls, and all that is within us!

I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, by way of Franklin, Warren, Tyrrell and Washington Counties, in NC; Norfolk, VA; and somewhere in Africa where people spoke the Bantu languages and watched their families torn apart, chained, and loaded onto ships like somebody’s cargo. I’m from Nigeria, where my ancestors walked proudly, heads up – backs straight, until that fateful day when they were forced to bend by men whose descendants would one day be my kinfolk.

I’m from blue-crabs steamed in a touch of vinegar and seasoned (heavy) with Old-Bay; I’m from collard greens and macaroni-and-cheese, with hot, buttered corn bread on the side.

From Anna Green, a runaway transplant who shared her life with Nathaniel Hawkins, and bore six kids by him; from Arthur P. Yarborough, who after a stint as one of our nation's first black Marines, reenlisted and worked his way up to the rank of Major in the United States Army, only to be cheated out of his next promotion by the stronghold of racism.

I am from the house my grandfather built in Louisburg, the property my grandmother and mother fought to keep in Norfolk, from the last house on the left on the corner lot in Granger Court. I’m from the metal safebox which always sat on the top shelf of my parents’ closet, but now rests in mine. I’m from photo albums filled with pictures of the known and unknown, from manila folders labeled with surnames and CD-ROMs that hold pictures and documents that provide proof of my history - most of which has migrated, in digitized form, onto my laptop and my external hard drive, since the time this piece was first written.

I’m from all of this, and so much more. I’m from America.

Thanks for reading!
Renate

P.S. If you'd like to get in on the 52 Ancestors fun, just click here for more info!

Permalink to this post: https://justthinking130.blogspot.com/2011/07/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-where-im.html

16 comments:

  1. OOO, well done. really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I really enjoyed reading this. . .very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carol, Tonia, and Kristin. I had fun creating this!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic, Renate. The strength of the family you come from shines through. And I really like the ending you struggled with :-) From a sister in the Lord who used to live in Nigeria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cherie and Carolyn. Carolyn, I've actually revised the poem and changed the ending (again)! :) Maybe I'll update the post one day with the newest version...lol. :)

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renate,

    What a wonderful post. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renata, I am a bit behind times on this one, but loved the post --- loved the rhythm, images and words. Good going, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how you combined the people, and the many places that are part of your past! And I like how you put your ancestors back on the land on which they lived and died!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks (belatedly), Mavis and Joan! Angela, thanks for the compliment! I'd love for you to add "Into the LIGHT" to your blog roll! :)

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding me of the prompt and the poem. I put my poem in my StoryWorth book for my descendants to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Randy! This was one of the best prompts, ever!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure why that came through as "Anonymous," but that was me, Randy!

      Delete
  12. Great job on this poem Renate. Of course I could relate to every word, Cousin!

    ReplyDelete