Facebook

Monday, June 14, 2010

Fun in the Sun! Grandma Thomas - Back in the Day! - COG 95th Edition

I'd originally been saving this up for a Wordless Wednesday, but after being inspired by Carol's "Bathing Beauties From Virginia" post, over at Reflections From the Fence, I decided to submit this picture of my maternal grandmother for the COG 95th edition, The Annual Swimsuit Edition which is being hosted by Jasia over at Creative Gene.  Just click on the link above, and scroll down to the bottom of the page for submission information! 

This is my grandmother, Mary Davis Walker Hill Thomas on an unidentified beach, probably sometime in the 1920's (but I don't know for sure).  Yes, this is the same grandmother about whom I just finished the three-part series, "My Grandmother's Loss".  At the time this photo was taken, the area beaches were still segregated, so it's most likely that she was either at Sea View in Norfolk, or Ocean Breeze, in Virginia Beach.  Either way, she looks like she's happy, possibly pregnant, and feeling good about herself!

Every time I see this picture, I just stare and stare at it.  I never saw this carefree side of my grandmother.  It does my heart good to know that my she did have "better days" before I knew her.

Renate

14 comments:

  1. Renate, a really great photo. Is there any chance this photo could have been taken in the 1920's?? I have one of my grandmother Florence, and her bathing suit is quite similar in style. I have the photo dated 1920's with a question mark. I guess I am off on another google research hunt, see if I can find a date for this style suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I think that's more than possible. I was really just taking a guess. Maybe it was in the 20's. Let me know what you find out, and thanks for instigating this post with yours! :)

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photo! now I have to find one of my mother in her bathing suit because I know my grandmothers didn't take any photos in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kristin! Can't wait to see your photo. I think I have one of my mom someplace also. I'll have to dig around to see if I can find it.

    Thanks again, Carol, for all of your help via email. I think we have narrowed this down to the (Roaring?) 20's. :) As you can see, I've changed it to that within the post.

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic picture, and a great new look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Renat I cant believe thats Grandma Thomas all I remember was her as a old lady Im stunned

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed, a happy post about her! What a character, posing like that. I love it. Thanks for sharing, and I've enjoyed the dialog between you and Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She does look happy and carefree. And I love her swimsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your episodes of the sadnesses in your grandmother's life, it really is lovely to see her looking happy. Great photo!

    Thanks for visiting my blog also, re the silent movie pics - similar time to this one of your grandmother.

    Kind regards,
    Christine (rootsresearcher)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the suit, love the photo Renate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. I love seeing my grandma like this! And, Frosty (Howell), I'm so glad you dropped by my blog! You are the first family member to ever comment. Yes, it is hard to believe that's Grandma, isn't it? :)

    Blessings,
    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Confidence oozes from her. She is a beautiful lady. You are blessed to have a picture of her like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete